The Holiday Concerts sponsored by FOX8 and Old Dominion Freight Line have provided The Salvation Army with food to help feed those in need. Millions of cans of food have been collected since 1987.
This is the largest and most important food raising event of the year for The Salvation Army. Last year, over 20,000 people where served.
For years, the Holiday Concerts have been held at the Greensboro Coliseum, Lawrence Joel Veteran Memorial and in Burlington and are a proven tradition offering quality holiday entertainment. The Concerts invite families to attend an evening of music provided by the Greensboro and Winston Salem Symphony’s. The “cost” to attend is a can of food.
In recent years, the need in the TRIAD has exceeded the cans collections at the concerts. That is why FOX8, Old Dominion Freight Line and The Salvation Army are reaching out to local businesses to participate in an eight week campaign culminating with the Concerts (Winston-Salem: December 13, Greensboro: December 14, Burlington: December 19).
How your business can help:
- Create an internal food drive – asking employees to participate and in turn provide them with special incentives if they do.
- Choose a period of time and ask your customers to donate canned food, offering them a discount if they do.
- The goal of each participating business should be a minimum of 15,000 cans of food or at least $5,000 which The Salvation Army will use to purchase food (3 cans of food for every dollar collected).
Examples to consider:
- A team building event- create teams internally – be creative, set a goal and the team with the most cans wins bragging rights and an incentive (vacation day?)
- Top Dog for a Day. Sell tickets internally to have the winner be the Leader of the business for a day.
- A company wide bake sale (or if applicable open to the public)
- A company wide yard sale (or if applicable open to the public)
- Host a golf tournament
- Wine tasting event
- Sell raffles inside your company – the winner to receive prize of your choice
- Host an Auction
- For retail/quick serve restaurants – ask customers to bring in canned food for a discounted offer off their purchase, include a donation box on counters.
Exposure for the Triad Holiday Food Drive and participating businesses:
- FOX8 will include your business on the Triad Holiday Food Drive page housed on myFOX8.com (triadholidayfooddrive.com). This will showcase each business participating in the Triad Holiday Food Drive and how they are helping to feed the needy in our community.
- Turn Key for your business – The Salvation Army will drop off boxes and pick up from your business if required.
- FOX8 will create multiple announcements encouraging businesses to participate, this message will run in high profile areas on FOX8. In addition, FOX8 will include social media posts encouraging participation. We will include the triadholidayfooddrive.com link in all pushes.
- In addition to the exposure on the triadholidayfooddrive.com page, each business will receive exposure on myFOX8.com and with social media; highlighting your business and all participating businesses.
- All participating businesses will be listed in the Holiday Concerts program. Over 15,000 programs printed.
- At the conclusion of the Holiday Concerts, FOX8 will create one message recognizing all participating businesses. This message will air on FOX8 and Antenna TV during December and January.
Official Website: http://triadholidayfooddrive.com/